Friday, September 10, 2010

Remaking my life

Haven't crafted a lot lately but instead seem to be mending and recycling not only clothing but my entire life. For the last 11 years, I've had a comfortable but somewhat boring job with excellent perks but not great pay. I felt stuck. The upside was a certain amount of freedom. The down; feeling trapped and wondering if the next 11 years would pass as quickly with no expectation of change or excitement. I had a little talk with myself and focused on what I wanted without worrying about the financial aspect.
Well, be careful of what you pray for because you might just get it. An employment offer from a chance meeting included doing the most enjoyable tasks ever: spending other people's money and trying to be the boss of them. Yep, I'm in sales again. My true calling. And can you guess it? Shiny things! Caw! Caw!
The last 5 weeks have been crazy with ups and downs. Even while Mom counseled me about the agony of starting a new job and the middle-of-the-night heart stopping sweaty feeling of Oh-my-God-what-have-I-done, it's taking awhile to find my rhythm. My groove is somewhat elusive these days.
I am waking earlier,
NOT going in later,
NOT blogging at work,
NOT talking on the phone with friends,
NOT listening to satellite radio via broadband internet streaming at my desk,
NO longer enjoying a casual 3 minute commute.
The volunteer work has suddenly felt like an onus.
The dearth of creative outlets has cramped my style.
And this is the first Friday I have come home absolutely happy. Dog ass tired but happy.
The house is a wreck. Mail is unopened and in a growing stack. Sewing projects are gathering dust. I can barely keep my eyes open. But I just restrung some beads because my "make something" urges needed an exercise. Wish me well as I struggle to find my mojo, get a good routine and level out the demands on my now very limited time.
And in return, I'll hope your days are filled with promise, fulfillment and shiny things.

Listen in on my talk with self HERE.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

That's really fantastic. Change can be hard and scary, but also very important. You know you will find yor way. Best of luck! Looking forward to hearing where this all takes you in life and in craftiness.

Kimberly said...

If you had an email posted...I could sell out there but...