Monday, October 26, 2009

Sewing lesson from Rikki Tikki Tavi

My mom can sew anything and made practically everything for my sis Rikki Tikki Tavi and me. Cute little girl dresses, dance recital costumes, Halloween costumes, cheerleader uniforms, formal gowns, you name it. Suffice to say, Rikki Tikki Tavi and I spent a good deal of our childhood time in fabric stores. I still love a fabric store. Rikki Tikki Tavi, not so much. She gets the monkey nerves, itching and scratching her skin and eyeing the closest exit.

About 10 years ago, I requested and received a sewing machine from my mom as a Christmas gift. Pillows and simple curtains were my goal. I had no idea that I would get past straight lines and box shapes.

So when mom and I discuss sewing techniques in Rikki Tikki Tavi's company, I can sense her disinterest and restlessness. Having enough of our conversation, she finally asked, "What's the big deal? How hard can sewing be? I know how to sew!"

"You do?" I had no idea.

"Sure, I made Barbie clothes. Everything is made the same exact way. Shirts, skirts, pillows. It's easy. Sew, sew, turn inside out." She stared back at us.

Mom agreed. "She's right. That's pretty much it."

Rikki Tikki Tavi shut down the conversation and now when we catch ourselves boring her again, we repeat the mantra.

Sew.

Sew.

Turn inside out.

No comments: